Over the last year or so I’ve seen so many wonderful blogs, books and documentaries, however, I think you’d be bored if I listed them all! So here is a list of my favourites, they’re all fantastic. More than anything I’d recommend reading some of the health books, they are just so inspiring and give you some much incredibly detailed information about the benefits of a plant-based diet – Kris Carr’s book was the first one that I ever read and it totally changed my life!
- Crazy Sexy Diet by Kris Carr – the first book I ever read and the most inspirational. Kris shares her story of how she managed her inoperable cancer through diet – just amazing and a very easy, very positive read.
- Clean by Dr. Alejandro Junger – a fascinating book written by a doctor disillusioned by modern medicine, all about how we should treat our bodies with a clean diet and lifestyle for optimum health. Also easy to read and really interesting.
- The China Study by Dr. T. Colin Campbell – a lot of science in this book so less easy to read, more something to dip in and out of but a serious must read. It details the largest study on nutrition ever conducted and the results of it. It really changed my outlook on food and helped me understand why I needed to eat the way I do.
- The Blood Sugar Solution by Dr. Mark Hyman – less ‘extreme’ then the others and offers a very understandable, very straight-forward insight into how to clean up your diet. If you’re very new to healthy eating this is very helpful. Ultra-Metabolism by Dr. Mark Hyman – similar to the blood sugar solution and great for all the same reasons, but gives a new insight into how our metabolism works and a big stress on how all calories are not equal!
- The Beauty Detox Solution by Kimberly Snyder – lovely, very easy book to read that explains how energy needs to be freed from our digestive systems to give us optimum health and therefore optimum beauty. Explains how a plant based diet will do this.
- Fast Food Nation by Eric Schlosser – just the most amazing insight into what goes on in our food system and how nasty most of the stuff we eat really is! Kinda gross but incredible
- Mind Over Medicine by Lissa Rankin – this is amazing, it’s all about how powerful the mind is and how important it’s role is in healing. If you’re struggling with illness then I couldn’t recommend this more, it really helped me.
- Honestly Healthy by Natasha Corrett and Vicki Edgson
- The Green Kitchen by David Frenkiel and Luise Vindahl
- RAWvolution by Matt Amsden
- Refresh by Ruth Tal
My favourite documentaries:
- Forks Over Knives
- Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead
- Sugar: The Bitter Truth
- Food Inc.
- Supersize Me
My favourite online stores in the UK
- www.goodnessdirect.co.uk – they cater for all your gluten, dairy and sugar free needs – bread, pasta, super-foods, kale chips etc.
- http://www.buywholefoodsonline.co.uk – this is an amazing place to buy bulk packages of nuts, quinoa, seeds, grains etc at amazing prices
- www.planetorganic.com – the best store in London, like goodnessdirect they sell everything you could ever need for this lifestyle!
- www.organicburst.com – for all my super foods (Spirulina, maca etc.)
My favourite restaurants in London
- Borough Market – my favourite place in London, the best fresh produce you’ll ever see plus amazing olives, artichokes, hummus, sundried tomatoes etc. Great organic smoothie/jar called Total Organics attached to a great salad bar plus an amazing stall selling vegan burgers with pesto potatoes, as well as the best hummus ever from the arabic stall.
- Manna – a great vegetarian restaurant, works well for everyone as it has a lovely interior and makes vegetarian food seem accessible – not all vegan/gluten free but lots of great options. Especially nice for dinner.
- Mildreds – the coolest vegetarian place in London, carnivores love it and again makes vegetarian food seem awesome. Not all gluten free/vegan but amazing options, I love the stir-fried asian vegetables with brown rice, so delicious!
- Tibits – fantastic place for everyone, amazing vegan/gluten free options and a great lunch spot. They have a huge buffet and you fill your place with whatever you fancy and pay by weight. Really delicious and inventive salads.
- The Good Life Eatery – a new cafe and a great option, very small so tricky at peak times but fantastic food and amazing raw juices. Especially love their signature salad with kale, sweet potato, lentils, pomegranates and a tahini/nutritional yeast dressing. Lovely interior too and a great atmosphere.
- Nama – amazing raw restaurant with some of the most beautiful, inventive food. I’m obsessed with all their raw desserts, the kale salad and all the breakfast options.
- Wild Food café – one of my favourites, the best raw food and a lovely atmosphere. A little too ‘hippy’ for some people with its communal tables but I love it. They make an especially awesome raw pizza and insane desserts! All vegan with gluten free options for everything.
- Lab Organic - an amazing spot for juices, homemade smoothies and the best raw brownies ever!
- Vantra – a delicious vegan place, cute atmosphere but like wild food cafe it’s more alternative. Fantastic food though, especially love their squash risotto!