Over the last few years I’ve seen so many wonderful blogs, books and documentaries, however, I think you’d be bored if I listed them all! So here is a list of my favourites, they’re all fantastic. More than anything I’d recommend reading some of the health books, they are just so inspiring and give you some much incredibly detailed information about the benefits of a plant-based diet – Kris Carr’s book was the first one that I ever read and it totally changed my life!
- Crazy Sexy Diet by Kris Carr – the first book I ever read and the most inspirational. Kris shares her story of how she managed her inoperable cancer through diet – just amazing and a very easy, very positive read.
- Clean by Dr. Alejandro Junger – a fascinating book written by a doctor disillusioned by modern medicine, all about how we should treat our bodies with a clean diet and lifestyle for optimum health. Also easy to read and really interesting.
- The China Study by Dr. T. Colin Campbell – a lot of science in this book so less easy to read, more something to dip in and out of but a serious must read. It details the largest study on nutrition ever conducted and the results of it. It really changed my outlook on food and helped me understand why I needed to eat the way I do.
- The Blood Sugar Solution by Dr. Mark Hyman – less ‘extreme’ then the others and offers a very understandable, very straight-forward insight into how to clean up your diet. If you’re very new to healthy eating this is very helpful. Ultra-Metabolism by Dr. Mark Hyman – similar to the blood sugar solution and great for all the same reasons, but gives a new insight into how our metabolism works and a big stress on how all calories are not equal!
- The Beauty Detox Solution by Kimberly Snyder – lovely, very easy book to read that explains how energy needs to be freed from our digestive systems to give us optimum health and therefore optimum beauty. Explains how a plant based diet will do this.
- Fast Food Nation by Eric Schlosser – just the most amazing insight into what goes on in our food system and how nasty most of the stuff we eat really is! Kinda gross but incredible
- Mind Over Medicine by Lissa Rankin – this is amazing, it’s all about how powerful the mind is and how important it’s role is in healing. If you’re struggling with illness then I couldn’t recommend this more, it really helped me.
- The Green Kitchen by David Frenkiel and Luise Vindahl
- Green Kitchen Travels by David Frenkiel and Luise Vindahl
- The Oh She Glows Cookbook by Angela Liddon
- Honestly Healthy by Natasha Corrett and Vicki Edgson
- The Art of Eating Well by Hemsley and Hemsely
- A Modern Way to Eat by Anna Jones
- RAWvolution by Matt Amsden
- Refresh by Ruth Tal
My favourite documentaries:
- Forks Over Knives
- Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead
- Sugar: The Bitter Truth
- Food Inc.
- Supersize Me
- Fed Up
My favourite online stores in the UK
- www.goodnessdirect.co.uk – they cater for all your gluten, dairy and sugar free needs – bread, pasta, super-foods, kale chips etc.
- http://www.buywholefoodsonline.co.uk – this is an amazing place to buy bulk packages of nuts, quinoa, seeds, grains etc at amazing prices
- www.planetorganic.com – the best store in London, like goodnessdirect they sell everything you could ever need for this lifestyle!
- www.organicburst.com – for all my super foods (Spirulina, maca etc.)
My favourite restaurants in London
- Borough Market– my favourite place in London! This is the most amazing farmers market with the best fresh produce you’ll ever see. There’s also lots of healthy food. I love the organic smoothie bar, Total Organics, the Middle Eastern stall Arabica for my favourite Hummus and the Veggie Table for veggie burgers with pesto potatoes and salsa.
- Juice Baby– this is a new juice bar on the King’s Road that I’ve become totally obsessed with, they make the best organic cold-pressed juice and my favourite ever kale salad, as well as lots of amazing healthy treats like chocolate caramel slices and brownies! It’s right next to one of London’s best yoga studios too so you can enjoy a great class before feasting on goodness at Juice Baby.
- Mildreds– this is the oldest and probably coolest vegetarian place in London. Carnivores love it and it makes vegetarian food seem really awesome. I love the Sri-Lankan Sweet Potato curry, it’s incredible
- Tibits– this is a really easy lunch option. It’s located just off Regent’s Street so it’s really convenient. They have a huge buffet and you fill your place with whatever you fancy and pay by weight – you’ll find lots of really delicious, inventive salads.
- The Good Life Eatery– this café is incredibly popular so try going for a slightly early or late lunch to get a table. It’s right by South Ken tube and has fantastic food and amazing juices. I especially love their signature salad with kale, sweet potato, lentils, pomegranates and a tahini/nutritional yeast dressing.
- Nama – this is an amazing raw restaurant with some of the most beautiful, inventive food I’ve ever eaten. I’m obsessed with all their raw desserts, the kale salad and all the breakfast options. If you’re going to visit just one place on this list then I would go for Nama, it’s pretty perfect.
- Wild Food café– this is the oldest raw food place in London (I think!) It has great food and a lovely atmosphere. It can be little too ‘hippy’ for some people with its communal tables but I love it. They make an especially awesome raw pizza and insane desserts like raw bannofee pie and chocolate cake.
- Tanya’s – this is another great raw food place, they make the most amazing raw tacos – it’s worth visiting just for those! They also do an incredible healthy breakfast and my favourite medicinal mushroom lattes, which sound weird, but taste amazing.
- Lab Organic - an amazing spot in Covent Garden for organic, cold-pressed juices, homemade smoothies and the best raw brownies ever! They also serve handmade salads and lots of snacks.
- Manna– a great vegetarian restaurant in North London that seems to work well for everyone as it has a lovely interior and makes vegetarian food seem accessible
- Raw Press– this is another new cold-pressed juice spot, which also serves an awesome array of salads. It’s only open during the week but it’s really worth visiting if you’re in the area. I’d so recommend their coconut water and matcha drink, it’s awesome.